Below is an outline of my CV, covering all my skills and all the opportunities I have embarked on. You can obtain an electronic copy of my CV on request, or you may check out my LinkedIn page. I am always looking for opportunities so please don’t hesitate to contact me either via email or Twitter.
Freelance Journalist, York Mix (April 2015 to present)
- Scoops have included an exclusive interview with a man who witnessed the Tunisian terror attack, which went on to be the lead story on the Mail Online and Mirror Online.
- Broke the story of the ‘anti-homeless’ bars in York which attracted the city’s largest ever petition and a wave of protests against the council: of particular interest, was my photo of a man sleeping through the bars which was circulated hundreds of times on social media.
- Helped the site to win Best Website of the Year at the 2016 O2 Yorkshire Media Awards.
Student Blogger, The Guardian (March 2014 to February 2017)
- Wrote three blogs: one on the challenges facing gay people coming out, one on working-class students and one on skin diseases.
- Spoke about my piece on working-class students on BBC Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine.
Station Presenter, Forge Radio (October 2016 to February 2017)
- Present a weekly show called The Jack Gevertz Show which discusses the issues affecting students
- Topics have included:
- Are students who identify as right-wing becoming too scared to air their views on campus?
- Is there a divide between international and UK students?
- Is there a point to Freshers’ Week?
Editor-in-chief, York Vision (October 2014 to April 2015)
- Various scoops and investigations which made their way into national newspapers and outlets including The Sun, Huffington Post, ITV News.
- Managed a team of editors and volunteers to produce a newspaper three times a term, of 48-to-56 pages in length, including a 16-page arts and entertainment pull-out.
- Won the Young Reporter of the Year award at the 2015 O2 Yorkshire Media Awards, beating those at the Yorkshire Post and Capital FM.
Freelance Journalist, The Independent (January 2014 to January 2015)
- Wrote various news stories for the website, mainly using social media such as Reddit to find them.
- Some were syndicated in other publications such as the Irish Independent.
Social Media Manager, York Vision (April 2014 to October 2014)
- Managed the student newspaper’s social media channels: Facebook and Twitter.
Chief News Reporter, York Vision (October 2013 to October 2014)
- Wrote various news stories and carried out various investigations, many of which made national newspapers.
News Editor, York Vision (October 2013 to February 2014)
- Produced 10 pages of news three times a term.
- Won the 2014 NUS Student Journalist of the Year award.
2016 Sheffield Postgraduate Scholarship (University of Sheffield)
2015 Young Reporter of the Year (O2 Media Awards: Yorkshire and The Humber)
2014 Student Journalist of the Year (National Union of Students)
Adobe Premiere Pro / Final Cut Pro
Reaper / Audacity
Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Soundcloud / Instagram / Reddit
Photography (creating photos using mobile and DSLR)
Videography (creating packages using mobile video and DSLR video)
Freedom of Information Act
Land Registry / Company House (learning)
Media law and court reporting (learning)
I have appeared on the BBC on BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine, BBC Radio Leeds, BBC Radio Sheffield and BBC Radio York. I have also done a placement at BBC Radio York and the York Press, as well as the Independent.
I have been published online on the Daily Mirror and Daily Telegraph. The Daily Telegraph has also used my photos I took using a DSLR for a web story. I have also been published in print in the Independent, the Independent on Sunday and the i newspaper.
MA Broadcast Journalism, University of Sheffield (September 2016 to present)
BA (Hons) Politics, University of York (September 2013 to July 2016)